Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the Broke and The Bookish. The idea is that each week there is a different theme that you can apply to your favourite type of genre. This week’s meme was on ten things I want to stop or dislike, such as books I didn’t finish or authors I stopped reading. Here at Kilts and Swords, I prefer not to post negative reviews or disparage authors. So, I decided to write about ten book habits that I have.
1. I read one book at a time. I am envious of people who can read multiple books at one time, but I am a one book kind of girl.
2. I am a total sucker for a pretty cover. I know that age old saying, “don’t judge a book by it’s cover’, but I can’t help but fall for a beautiful cover. I think some of my favourite covers are from Monica McCarty’s Highland Guard Series. I mean, honestly they are so hot!
3. I am a die hard fan. If I like an author, I will read all of their books and make sure to read their back stories. I probably drive authors crazy with gushing affectionately over fictional characters, but I can’t help myself!
4. I love to re-read books. If I really love a series, I will re-read the entire series before a new book comes out. Sometimes I am just in the mood to read a favourite book all over again and experience the emotions all over again.
5. However, I don’t always re-read some of my very favourite books! Doesn’t that seem weird? I love and adore Judith McNaught’s books, but in the past couple of years I have resisted reading them again. I read a lot of books and I am always afraid that the perfect memory I have of a story will vanish if I read them again. So for right now, Almost Heaven is not getting a re-read. I don’t want to change the memory I have in my head of how perfect that book is.
6. I have a hard time with series when there is a lengthy delay between books. For example, some series have like a year in between each book. I read so many books, that I find it hard at times to remember the secondary characters or the big ‘misunderstanding’ that happened in the previous book. While I do like to re-read, it isn’t always possible with twenty books on my to-be-read list at any given time. I’m looking at you, Crossfire series.
7. I will read anywhere and anytime. I will read all day if my life accommodated it. I read on my phone with the Kindle app, so a great book is only a couple of swipes away.
8. I know it is a great book if I stay up all night reading. As a child my parents hid all flashlights so that I couldn’t read under the covers. I know it is a great book when I keep telling myself five more minutes which stretches into two AM.
9. I go through phases. Like all readers I have preferred genres and sub genres, but I mostly read romance. I find that sometimes I go on a contemporary kick, or I go through a time travel phase. Historical romance is always the bread and butter of my reading lists.
10. While I adore the well known romance authors, I have loved finding new ones. Since I started this blog, I have found some amazing authors to read. It is so exciting when I read a book and it’s awesome!